First and foremost, I am an artist. Since my graduation from Pratt Institute. I have been awed by each and every facet of the art creation process. I also love to share my knowledge, and inspire a love of art (through drawing lessons, oil painting techniques, etc.) within others.
I teach realism, and my art courses are based on the classical training tradition of European art schools. I don’t believe in shortcuts or “tricks” when learning to draw. I believe in making the picture pleasing to the eye, as well as a record of a very specific time and place. This applies to drawing, sketching, oil painting, and other art styles.
I strive to paint what I see, leaving enough evidence of a human hand or eye to tell the viewer that I am there. Had John van Druten not said it first, I would have coined the phrase ”I am camera.”
As someone who has an appreciation for oil painting, and someone who offers art instruction, I am strongly influenced by:
- Jan Vermeer for his composition, lessons in light and shade.
- Edgar Degas for his unique compositions, viewpoints, cropping, reality, use of photos as references, his perspective, character study, color, and application of paint.
- The Luminists for their ”discovery” of luminescent light effects in nature. Click on these links to view artwork by the Luminists.
- Rene Magritte for his series “The Majesty of Light” showing its various characters in a single painting.
- The Ash Can School for freeing subject matter.
- Edward Hopper for bringing the illustrator’s eye to easel painting.
- Norman Rockwell for perfecting realistic oil painting.
For more information, please contact me here or find my business information below:
Shayla P. Buck
4848 Hiney Road
Las Vegas, NV 89102